lands of forests with mulberries, olives and
vines and a tower
name comes from the area where the building complex and the farm
are situated, namely La Torre, Municipality of Bagni di Lucca,
The first existing news of this nucleus, the oldest building complex,
is kept in the State Archive of Lucca. In the "Spedale della
Misericordia" (Hospital of Mercy) there is a collection of
documents drawn up in 1609 of the "The goods that the Ensign
Martino della Lena dal Bagno gave to the Hospital of Mercy of
description of the property is of "lands of forests with
mulberries, olives and vines and a tower with two brick houses
and a brick shed and others that pertain to it".
Hospital of Mercy sold the property in the second half of the
17th century; in fact in the "Estimates and Documents of
the Fixed Assets of the Fornoli Municipality district of the Serenissima
Republic of Lucca" drawn up in 1700, a land surveyor and
kept in the Historical Archive of the Municipality of Borgo a
Mozzano, the property belongs to Girolamo della Lena da Ponte
The tower, with a square or rectangular plan, is depicted as a
The description under the drawing states: "a small construction,
covered by tiles and with a garden and fountains and two houses
next document found is "Document of the Fixed assets of the
honourable brothers Giacomo and Luigi Trebiliani" drawn up
in 1790 and kept in the State Archive of Lucca in the Trebiliani
The picture shows the property in particular and in colour the
plan of the house adjacent to the garden and a chapel, probably
built on the ruins of the tower.
The description under the picture states: "A piece of land
sown with wheat, with vines and fruits, part olives and part forest,
with a constructed house on two floors, with its land, with a
cellar and a vat-room with a vegetable garden and a church above
it, with others that pertain to it for the use of the landowners;
with another adjoining house on two floors covered with tiles,
with stable and hay-loft for rustic purposes and all that pertains
to it situated in the Fornoli Municipality…" .
next information comes from the Historical Register of Landed
Property of Borgo a Mozzano, dated 1866, where all the buildings,
which now constitute the complex, are present.
In fact we find three other buildings: the farmer's house where
there are now six apartments, the small greenhouse, characterised
by large windows facing south and the bunker, a small building
later used by the Clarke sisters as an aviary and today it has
been renovated and is used as the office and reception of the
1918 the property passes for a few months from the Trebiliani
family to Pellegrini and Varraud who in turn then pass it to Francis
e Susie Clarke, wealthy sisters from Minnesota (USA).
In the following years the older sister Susie Clarke (who dies
in 1932) intervenes heavily on the building complex, expanding
some buildings, building new ones. In this period the property
reaches its maximum splendour.
the second world war the property is confiscated as the owners,
Americans, are considered enemies and the villa is used as a German
outpost suffering severe damage, which forces Ms Francis Clarke
to claim compensation for damages when she is given the property
back in 1947.
1975 it was inherited by the University of Bologna, which used
it as a study centre (and named it after the Clarke sisters),
active till the early 90's.
During this period the buildings underwent further renovation,
above all the villa and the stable where there were laboratories
to study some floral pathologies.
2001 the property passes at the Tintori family of Bagni di Lucca, now
proprietary and with Paolo and Laura manages the farmahouse.